FeaturedFootballSouth Shields

South Shields 4-0 AFC Rushden and Diamonds: The Mariners signalled their intent for a cup run in the FA Trophy

General picture of Mariners Park – Photo: southshieldsfc.co.uk

South Shields 4-0 AFC Rushden and Diamonds

FA Trophy Second Qualifying Round

Saturday 9th November, 3pm kick off

Mariners Park

Jason Gilchrist 22, 67

Adam Thurston 29

Lee Mason 89

South Shields fielding a strong line up showed that they are taking the FA Trophy seriously as they looked comfortable from the start in their 4-0 victory over AFC Rushden and Diamonds.

Jason Gilchrist scored in the 22nd minute to set them on their way.

Adam Thurston added a second to make it 2-0 in the 29th minute.

Gilchrist got his second of the game in the 67th minute to make it 3-0 Shields.

Substitute Lee Mason made an impact as he scored in the 89th minute to secure a 4-0 win and a place in Monday’s draw for the third qualifying round.

South Shields made easy work of the visiting AFC Rushden and Diamonds. Shields had the lions share of possession but failed to convert a few chances early on.

Strikers Sanmi Odelusi and Gilchrist both had chances in on goal to open the scoring. Odelusi had the best of the chances so far in the eighth minute when Gilchrist passed across the box and Odelusi slid in but shot to the Goalkeepers right.

Sunderland AFC loanee Jordan Hunter also had a couple of attempts at goal off target within minutes of each other just before Shields opened the scoring.

Shields opened the scoring on the 22nd minute, Robert Briggs took the corner, Shields centre-back Gary Brown attempted to head in however the ball fell to Gilchrist at the left side of the box and he fired low and true to make it 1-0 to Shields.

Gilchrist nearly turned provider in the 24th minute as he crossed for left-back Blair Adams who had his shot saved from point blank range by Diamonds ‘keeper Ben Heath.

The next goal came in the 29th minute when winger Adam Thurston converted a brilliant through ball by midfielder Nathan Lowe. One touch was all he needed to make it 2-0.

In the 52nd minute the first real chance for Diamonds came from Ben Acquaye, he went on a mazy run before shooting straight at Shields ‘keeper Myles Boney. Shields went straight on the counter attack with Lowe making a run and shooting, however his shot was blocked for a corner.

Shields made sure of their win in the 67th minute with a fine solo goal from Gilchrist. Gilchrist took the ball from just inside his own half, ran into the box beat one defender and left two standing before shooting into the bottom right corner. 3-0 Shields.

Although in the 89th minute the game was secure for Shields this did not stop them battling for possession as if the game was still on the line. Gilchrist turned provider this time as he won the ball on the right flank ran inside and played the ball into Lee Mason.

Mason a 54th minute substitute for Odelusi will have been happy with some extended game time and the goal to round off the win.

South Shields looked back to their best after some indifferent league results lately, they will look forward to seeing who they will be drawn against in Monday’s third qualifying round draw.

South Shields: Boney, Hunter, Adams, Turnbull, Morse, Brown (Wokoma 68), Thurston, Briggs (c) (Baxter 66), Gilchrist, Lowe, Odelusi (Mason 58)

Subs not used: Charlton, Coombe, Jenkins, Hodgson

AFC Rushden and Diamonds: Heath, Reynolds, Brown, Slinn (Macleod 69), Dolman, Collard (Ashton 54), Acquaye, Farrell, Lorraine, Roberts (Akubuine 79), Hicks

Subs not used: Casey, Dove, Munro, Gosnal-Tyler

Attendance: 934

Leave a Reply