FootballNorthern LeagueSunderland West End

Heaton Stannington put three past Sunderland West End in Northern League Tyne-Wear Derby

Heaton Stannington 3-1 Sunderland West End. Attendance: 150.

Heaton Stannington put three past Sunderland West End as the rain poured down at Grounsell Park last Wednesday night, with the visitors left ruing their chances to turn the game their way.

The home side scored first through Josh Miller before West End equalised minutes later. Stan would go on to score two goals in the second half, with a penalty and a close-range effort from Jon Wright.

In doing so, Heaton Stannington turned around West End’s recent habit of scoring late goals, with their second and third scored after the 80th minute.

Stan started well despite the conditions, with Jon Wright involved in much of their play. However, in the fourth and seventh minute he couldn’t quite execute his shots.

Eventually, the goal came; in the 10th minute, captain Josh Miller rose to meet Lewis’ Burns corner to score on his 50th appearance for the Stan.

Sunderland West End pegged the home side back in style in the 14th minute. The equaliser was a sublime volley by Christopher Tarn at the back post after Dan Regan parried away a corner. It was a tight angle and yet the Sunderland striker found his target with deadly precision.

In the 31st minute, Stan goalkeeper Dan Regan stopped a point-blank shot from Owen Imeson.

Just before half-time, Regan was called on again after Stephen Black set up new Sunderland signing Daniel Maddison, this time he made a low save.

Regan was under fire in the second half, blocking a shot before receiving a knock in the follow-through – the goalie stayed on the pitch despite the injury.

Regan Paterson advanced on the left and knocked the ball into the box before Reese Thompson collided with Paterson. The Stan wide-man went to ground, and referee E. Culling awarded the penalty, which Jon Wright blasted into the bottom-right corner in the 80th minute.

It was a contentious decision, to which Sunderland manager Darren Liddle voiced his complaint and as a result, was booked by the referee.

Heaton Stannington brought on midfielder Ryan Bailey on the 80th minute for Connor Campbell to try to solidify the middle. As a result, the home side dropped deeper in the last 15 minutes to protect their lead whilst West End poured on the pressure.

In the dying moments, Heaton Stan hit Sunderland on the counter, before Regan Paterson played a ball to substitute Kevin Carr, who advanced on goal, waiting until the final moment to square the ball to Wright who slammed home for 3-1 in the 94th minute.

Heaton Stannington:

Dan Regan; Ross Simpson, Ali Stoddart, Josh Miller (c), Michael Hall; Dean Imray, Regan Paterson, Josh Wilson, Connor Campbell, Jon Wright, Lewis Burns. Subs: Joe Blackbourne (86), Gary Dixon, Ryan Bailey (80), Richie Hoggins, Kevin Carr (70).

Sunderland West End:

Adam McDermott, Joshua Chambers, Reece Thompson, Luke McCabe, Adam Drysdale (c), Stephen Black, Lewis Lynn, Owen Imeson, Christopher Tarn, Daniel Maddison, Kieron Martin. Subs: Jake Fenton, Thomas Green (69), Dylan Quinn, Bryan Norton (14), James Norton (46).

Main Photo

Heaton Stannington defeated Sunderland West End 3-1 on a rainy Wednesday night