FeaturedFootballLocal sportVideo

Jason Ainsley becomes Spennymoor Town interim manager: “The club is at my heart.”

Source: Moors TV, YouTube.

Jason Ainsley believes his affinity for Spennymoor Town will put him in a strong position as he takes interim charge of the team following the departure of joint-managers, Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley.

Ainsley spoke to Moors TV on Thursday ahead of their game against Farsley Celtic, who narrowly avoided relegation from the National League North last season.

Spennymoor, who sit currently 13th following eight matches played, will look to Ainsley and assistants Jamie Chandler, James Curtis and Chris Mason to steady the ship.

He told the club’s social media: “I was always at the end of a phone call [referencing joint-managers Johnson and Morley] and I always will because the club is at my heart.

“When you’ve spent that sort of time involved in the football club you have an affinity with it.”

Ainsley added that the team “will be well supported by the chairman, get well supported by me – I’ll oversee this as interim manager as long as the chairman wants me – but I’ll be relying on them.

“They need to step up to the plate and what better chance than working and learn on the job.”

Read Spennymoor’s preview of the away match at Farsley Celtic.