BoxingFeaturedLocal sport

“I can stop any fighter”- Geordie Heavyweight Steven Robinson previews his clash with Alen Babic

Newcastle’s Steven Robinson (6-2-0) believes he has the power to knock out any fighter in the heavyweight division ahead of his big fight with Alen “The Savage” Babic (11-1-0).

Credit: Sky Sports

“I believe if I catch any fighter correctly, I can stop anybody,” Robinson told SportsByte. “That’s the attitude I’ve got to have, I wouldn’t be in the fighting game If I didn’t believe in myself or believe in the attributes that I’ve got.”

His anticipated bout against the Croatian Babic, is part of a stellar undercard on March 31st at the O2 Arena in London, which leads to a colossal main event between Fabio Wardley and Frazer Clarke for the British and Commonwealth Heavyweight titles.

‘Drago’ Robinson, despite coming off a points defeat to Franklin Ignatius in his last fight, is hoping to take this opportunity with both hands.

He said: “It’s a fantastic opportunity to be given and I know I’m being used as a stepping stone for (Babic). Sky are looking at me knowing I got the knockout the last time I boxed on one of their shows.”

Back in December of 2022, he stopped Scotsman Nick Campbell live on Sky Sports, who at the time was undefeated.

The Newcastle boxer continued: “We’re both fighting men and we’re not going to leave anything in the ring. To be on this card and to be chosen to fight Alen in an amazing arena and event, is a great opportunity.”

“Of course I believe I can stop (Babic) and I know he believes he can stop me so on the night we will be meeting in the middle of the ring and going to war.”

Babic, unlike 6’7″ Robinson, is a smaller heavyweight, standing at 6’1″. This height difference could certainly be a factor on the night.

Both men are extremely heavy hitting, while expected in the heavyweight division, is still a factor that should make for an exciting and fiery encounter. Robinson has amassed a knockout percentage of 66.67%, whereas Babic has an astounding knockout percentage of 90.91%.