Boxing

Repeat or Revenge? Josh Taylor vs Jack Catterall 2 finally announced

Following their massively controversial fight back in February of 2022, which saw Josh Taylor (19-1-0) take a split decision win over rival Jack Catterall(28-1-0), a rematch has finally been announced two years later.

The highly anticipated bout is set for the April 27 at the First Direct Arena in Leeds.

The first fight took place at the SSE Hyrdo in Glasgow and saw “The Tartan Tornado” Taylor put his Undisputed Super Lightweight World Championship on the line.

What followed was one of the biggest controversies in recent boxing history, with Taylor getting a rather dubious win on points, not only thought to have lost the majority of the rounds, but also getting dropped in the 8th round.

Taylor was also deducted a point in the 11th round for punching after the bell, however Catterall was also taken a point away for holding a round earlier.

2HT47AJ Jack Catterall (left) Josh Taylor celebrate after the junior welterweight bout at the OVO Hydro, Glasgow. Picture date: Saturday February 26, 2022.

Judges Ian John-Lewis and Victor Loughlin scored the bout for Taylor, whereas judge Howard Foster scored it for Catterall.

The public outrage after the fight was massive, with boxing pundits, experts and former fighters demanding a rematch, however it never came to fruition, until a couple of days ago.

Since the first fight, the former Undisputed 140lbs champion Taylor has only fought once, losing for the first time in his professional career to boxing superstar Teofimo Lopez in New York last year.

Having vacated every belt but the WBO, Taylor was forced to face his mandatory challenger, who happened to be one of the sport’s best. The bout between Taylor and Lopez was boxing at the highest level, however it was the American hotshot who came away with a unanimous points decision victory.

On the other hand, Catterall has fought twice since he challenged for the Undisputed crown that night in Glasgow. He signed with Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Boxing, and picked up back-to-back points wins in 2023 against Darragh Foley and boxing legend Jorge Linares.

At today’s press conference, Taylor has said: “Obviously my last two fights haven’t been great and I’ve got a point to prove and I need to be back to my best. I need to win this fight to keep my career on the go, It’s a big fight.”

He added: “I can’t wait for this fight, the card has been billed ‘Hate Runs strong’, I don’t hate anyone, I just don’t like this guy (Catterall) and can’t wait to smash his brains in.”

Catterall, also speaking at todays press conference, said: “Listen, I’m excited, we finally caught him and I don’t even believe he wanted to fight me, but he’s here now and he’s showed up. I’m going to smash his head in on April 27.”

Whilst this time round there is no Undisputed Championship on the line, it’s clear that this is more than just the belts, and has certainly boiled up be to a fierce and personal rivalry.

For Catterall, this is a chance at redemption, to right the wrongs of 2 years ago, whereas for Taylor it’s an opportunity to prove everyone wrong and show that even though he picked up the win the first time he fought Catterall, he was nowhere near his best.

The bout will be shown live on DAZN and you can undoubtedly expect a fiery build up, and a sold out arena in Leeds, on April 27.