FeaturedFootballLocal sportNorth ShieldsNorthern LeagueRyhope CW

Ryhope CW vs North Shields: Game postponed on 78 minutes as power cut ends game early

Image Credit: Kyle Ritchie

A power cut at the Recreation Ground meant that the referee had to bring the game to a close, as the match became unplayable.  

Two first half goals from the visitors meant that North Shields headed into the second half with the advantage.

However, after a short half-time period, neither side were able to get going again in a half rued by the dark conditions.

Both teams headed into the game in excellent form, Ryhope hadn’t lost a league game in their last nine whilst the visitors had not lost an away game this season.

Gary Pearson made two changes to the team that beat Newcastle Benfield 5-0 last week, with Christopher Wallace and James Watson starting in place of Ben Riding and Jon Weirs.

North Shields struck early in the game when in the seventh minute the ball came out to Nick Cassidy, who’s powerful cross found Dan Wilson at the back post who was able to tap in the opener.

The home side looked for a way back into the game as midfielder Wallace had two opportunities to grab an equaliser in quick succession, with one of his efforts being saved and the other, a header, that narrowly passed the post.

The visitors struck again on 28 minutes as Cassidy once again provided an assist, this time from a corner finding Anth Myers who was able to send his header into the top right-hand corner of the goal.

Wallace had Ryhope’s best chance of the half as he forced Olly Marshall into an excellent save, at full stretch to deny a goal in the top corner.

Image Credit: Kyle Ritchie

With no power in the ground the officials opted for a shortened half-time stoppage in an attempt to play with as much day light as possible.

Both teams struggled to find their rhythm again in the second half with Shields’ Jamie Norvell having the best chance of the half however his shot was fired over the crossbar.

On 78 minutes as the conditions worsened, the referee signified the end of the game.

With the score 2-0 when the match was abandoned, both teams now await official confirmation from the league on how the game will be concluded.