FeaturedFootballLocal sportSouth Shields

Julio Arca returns to South Shields revealing his plans to sign-up Sunderland youngsters

Credit – South Shields FC

Former Sunderland, Middlesborough and South Shields player Julio Arca, was unveiled yesterday afternoon at Mariners Park as the new manager of South Shields.

Arca, is hoping to use his pre-existing connection to the North East to his advantage. Arca, said:

“I’ve already spoken with the U21’s manager over at Sunderland, so we’ll see what’s available It’s a busy time, players out on contracts looking for clubs so we’ll see what we can do.”

“We want to sort things out quickly, regarding players, and get going with pre-season.”

Talking about his playing career at the club Arca said:

“If you told me when I first came here whether I would win six trophies, winning the Vase at Wembley I wouldn’t have believed you.

“The club is different now; it is hard to predict where the club will be in the next couple of years.”

South Shields will be playing their trade in the Vanarama National League North next year, a league that the club have never played in, Arca went on to say:

“It’s a physical league, it’s a competitive league, anyone can beat anyone.”

Arca returned to Argentina following his playing career to earn his A License coaching badges.

To the surprise of many, former manager, Kevin Phillips departed Shields after the ambitions of the club did not match his own. Phillips is now on the verge of joining League Two club Walsall.

The first addition to Julio’s coaching staff is Tommy Miller, the former Spennymoor Town manager, enjoyed a playing career at clubs such as Sunderland, Ipswich Town and Sheffield Wednesday.

South Shields’ Chairman, Geoff Thompson, said:

“I’ve kept in touch with Julio for multiple years, he was a real talisman for us, and he has a real level of professionalism.” 

“He hasn’t had any managerial experience but we’re partnering him with Tommy who has. I’m very confident that him and Tommy will be a good team, and we have an exciting season ahead of us.”

“There is money available if Julio wants to bring in some new talent. We won’t have the biggest budget but that doesn’t mean we will lack ambition next season.”