FootballNon-league footballNorth ShieldsNorthern League

Match Report: North Shields vs West Auckland

North Shields, who were down to 10 men, valiantly held West Auckland to a 0-0 draw.

Both sides started strong with the closest a blistering run from North Shields’ Bradley Chisholm, the shot stopped well by West Auckland’s keeper Nicholas Liveridge.

However, the match took a turn following a succession of fouls by both teams, eventually leading to Chisholm being sent off in the 31st minute. 

Despite this, North Shields finished the first half strong, forcing Liveridge once more into action following a corner.

The second half started almost as it had finished, with North Shields getting the better of the chances. 

Despite this strong start however West Auckland began to use their extra man to the advantage, both teams would look to their bench to try and make a change, until the referee blew his whistle for full time.

The Robins went into today’s match boasting a solid record of three wins in the last five games against a team they’ve lost to already this season. With themselves sat in sixth, and with the majority of teams around them possessing a game in hand over them, a win would have been important to keep them in the play-off places. 

Both teams’ tails were up from the start as following a good piece of passing play, The West claimed a free kick outside the box, with Wayne Whitfields shot hitting the wall and the following rebound being fired over the bar.

However it was then North Shields’ turn to test the West Auckland defence as in the eighth minute a strong ball over the top is collected by Chisholm whose effort is well saved by the opposition keeper. 

For the next couple minutes both teams exchange possession of the ball before after good build up play for the Robins, Potter’s cross glides across the Auckland box with no one getting to the end of it.

In the 31st minute things began to get fiery, ultimately leading to Chisholm being sent off for striking defender Gary Brown following an off the ball incident, and leaving the Robins down to 10 men.

Despite the clear disadvantage North Shields had a plethora of chances, with the closest being in the last minute of the first half, a corner, with the header being tipped around the post by Liveridge.

As the second half started North Shields continued to impress with 10 men as in the 52nd minute, Tom McIntyre’s shot was blocked out for a corner.

In the 58th minute Tom Potter for north shields completes a great run of the right side before his cross is cleared once more by an increasingly under pressure West Auckland Defence.

After Auckland’s Gary Brown and William Constantine put themselves in the referee’s book, West Auckland began to find their rhythm, using their extra man to their advantage. 

In the 80th minute, after Hegarty and Nicholson both combined for Auckland to produce good quality going into the box, The Robins were stuck in their own half. 

However this was dealt with well by the Robins who then mounted an attack of their own, as in the 86th minute a free kick from Conor Oliver was collected well by the keeper.

Afterwards North Shields continued to hold on well until full time.