RugbyTeam SunderlandUniversity rugby

Team Sunderland triumph over Leeds Trinity after nervy start

Sunderland 13-7 Leeds Trinity

Zach Campbell helped Team Sunderland Rugby defeat Leeds Trinity delivering three conversions in the 49th, 58th and 71st minute of the game, a try coming too from Devrim Koca in the 49th minute.

Leeds opened the scoring with a try and conversion with just over 20 minutes on the clock.

Sunderland fought back in the second half as Koca scored a try with 49 minutes played.

Campbell then finished the conversion equalising the score.

Campbell scored his second conversion of the game just nine minutes after his first giving the home side the lead for the first time.

It was a hat-trick of conversions for Campbell as in the 71st minute of the game he struck again putting Sunderland comfortably ahead.

Sunderland were going into the game brimming with confidence, knowing that elite athlete Aaron Harlow-Stephenson would make his return after a horrific teared acl injury.

Four minutes into the game Koca missed a great chance to play in Allen Harvey for Sunderland’s first try of the game, the pass was just yards wide.

The first try was scored by Leeds as a unit they forced their way through the home side’s defence with 20 minutes played, with the conversion being scored by the visitors.

George Carey came yards away from scoring Sunderland’s first try, as he forced through the away team with pace and power, but great defending from Leeds kept the scoreline intact.

Sunderland fought back in the second half as Koca swept through the Leeds defence and scored a try in the 49th minute.

Campbell then finished the conversion coolly with a right footed strike rising high over the bar equalising the score.

Campbell for the second time of the match scored another conversion, again being a right footed shot high, powerful and over the bar producing a strong lead for Sunderland.

A hat-trick of conversions was what put Leeds to bed, as once again star boy Campbell produced another strike sailing over the bar.

The conversion sealed arguably a hard fought victory for Sunderland.