Team Sunderland

Match Report: Sunderland Women 1sts 1 – 1 York Women 1sts

Sunderland women secured a hard fought point against York women after a late goal at the death from Katie Smith broke the away’s sides resilience.

In a one sided first half, York Womens 1sts were dominant from the first minute as they won a corner in the third minute, which was crossed in towards the centre of the goal, but it was headed over the bar.

This was a sign of things to come as another York player let a shot fly from around 30-yards on five minutes, which the Sunderland goalkeeper could only parry on to the post, before gathering the ball.

The first goal of the game went to York on 27 minutes, as the attacker advanced into the Sunderland penalty box and won a 50/50 challenge with the defender, before slotting the ball home past the goalkeeper to break the deadlock.

Sunderland women grew into the match just before half-time after they won a corner in the 42nd minute which was crossed into the box and saw a goalmouth scramble, but York eventually cleared their lines.

The second half began with York winning a free-kick on 48 minutes, which the York player struck against the crossbar, with her teammate quickest to the rebound, unable to convert from point blank.

This seemed to spark life into Sunderland who were working extremely hard to find an equaliser as on 68 minutes, Cynthia Asogwa had the first real chance for the home side, although dragged her effort just wide.

The chances then kept falling for Sunderland women as a great lofted ball by Anna Murphy on 77 minutes, saw her team mate 1 on 1 with the York goalkeeper, but Victoria Curtis couldn’t beat the keeper who stood her ground.

However, there was to be late drama as another fantastic lobbed pass by Murphy in the 90th minute, found Chantelle Ketteringham free on the right wing, who crossed the ball to the back post that found Katie Smith who’s initial shot was saved, but tucked home the rebound to break York’s hearts and made sure her side secured a well-earned point.

This was to be the last kick of the game as the referee blew up for full-time to see the points shared between the two sides.