FeaturedFootballLocal sport

Gateshead through to FA Trophy semi-finals

A Dajaune Brown hat-trick proved vital as Gateshead fought off a late scare to secure a place in the FA Trophy semi-finals.

2KDAPEB LONDON, ENGLAND – MAY 22:FA Trophy during The Buildbase FA Trophy Final 2021/2022 between Bromley and Wrexham at Wembley Stadium , London, UK 22nd May , 2022 (Photo by Action Foto Sport/NurPhoto)

Brown broke the deadlock for Gateshead with a low drive, and things went from bad to worse for ‘The Turbines’ when Brown bagged his second, firing home whilst one on one with the keeper. Brown made himself a hat-trick hero only 3 minutes later, bundling in from close range and sending Gateshead in at the break three goals to the good.

Quickfire second-half goals by Josh McCammon scored The Turbines set up a nervy end to the affair, but The Heed’s bid to make amends from last year’s defeat at Wembley continues.

Robbie Tinkler started for ‘The Heed’ for the first time since October, with Lirak Hasani, Kieron Evans, Connor Mcbride and Brown also making their starts. The visitors would welcome the return of their skipper Mark Jones following an illness and Elicha Ahui would also start for ‘The Turbines’

The first chance came in the fourth minute following a smart set piece, the ball being played short to Dan Jarvis who found himself one on one with James Montgomery but the keeper was quick off his line to rush out and stop. 

Gateshead broke the deadlock in the seventh minute as a Regan Booty’s through ball to Ben Worman rebounded off the shins of Peterborough Sports’ Connor Johnson and into the path of Brown who reacted quickly to fire home inside the box.

Following a lull in action, Brown bagged his brace in the 19th minute following an Evans through ball, the Derby loanee turned into the box and fired a shot that the ball trickled over the line after an initial stop from Peter Crook.

Gateshead grabbed a third in the 22nd minute when Brown met Hasani’s low cross from the by-line and bundled it in from close range, netting an astonishing 15-minute hat-trick.

Peterborough Sports very nearly scored in the 31st minute when Kaine Felix crossed into the path of an unmarked Dan Jarvis inside the box, however he failed to convert despite being five yards out.

Gateshead nearly added to their tally in the 33rd minute when Worman inside the box played it out to Mcbride on the overlap who unleashed a shot that was blocked by a Peterborough Sport defender.

Brown could have got his fourth when after being slotted in by Evans, the striker dribbled past the keeper but got too heavy of a touch on the ball as it went out for a goal kick.

Another close chance came for ‘The Turbines’ in the 46th minute when Ryan Fryatt placed himself on the end of a header to unleash a strong volley, forcing a fantastic off the line stop from James Montgomery following a Dan Jarvis corner.

First chance of the second half came in the 49th minute when Evans twisted and turned to unleash a low shot out the box, the ball glancing past Crook’s near post.

Peterborough Sports finally scored in the 53rd minute, McCammon fired home after finding himself free inside the box following a poorly dealt with cross.

‘The Turbines’ added further pressure when in the 55th minute Mamadou Jobe conceded a free kick, Gash heading home Jarvis’ well struck set piece.

McCammon nearly tied things up in the 63rd minute after capitalising on a loose ball, firing wayward following a desperate scramble after an error from Montgomery.

With the visitors gaining momentum, Rob Elliot turned to his bench, with top goalscorer Marcus Dinanga replacing Evans and Tom Allen replacing Mcbride.

Allen made an almost instant impact, taking it past his fullback to deliver a low cross into the feet of Brown, however he could only hit the post as the visitors’ defence cleared their lines.

Gateshead, sensing the increased pressure, continued to fend off Peterborough, neither side really producing quality in the final third. In the 88th minute the visitors made a sub, Jones coming off for Ben Fowkes.

After four minutes of additional time, the referee signalled the end of the match, meaning Gateshead were through to the semi-finals of the FA Trophy.