Team Sunderland

Danny Jackson-Brown rescues a point late on for Team Sunderland 3rds

A frustrating start to the afternoon for Team Sunderland 3rds saw an uphill battle run through until near the final whistle.

It was a double delight early doors for Hull 3rds as they started proceedings with a breakthrough from the spot, before Rio Hoang latched onto a forward ball for the second.

A Sam Cook free-kick made its way through the wall to half the deficit before half-time, before a late surge of chances for the home side towards the end of the game came to providence as captain Danny Jackson-Brown poked home from close range.

It was almost a perfect start for Sunderland as Abdelmadjid Haine broke down the right and floated a ball to Jackson-Brown, who had found space beyond the penalty spot but his effort sailed over the bar.

It turned out to be a great start for the opposition however, with the first finding its way home after a penalty was converted before Fiad Elmubarak unleashed a defence-splitting pass to Hoang who slotted home.

Team Sunderland goalscorer Sam Cook.

With Sunderland starting to add some pressure, seeing two shots blocked shortly prior. Cook powered his free-kick through the wall, with nobody able to stop the ball on its quest to the bottom corner.

A string of four sequencing corner kicks by Jackson-Brown followed, from the left side into the wind the ball struggled to get past the near post – with coach Martin bellowing at his side for not adapting to the adverse conditions and taking their training ground set piece practice too literally at half-time.

His words clearly showed fruition with a corner almost levelling the game in the early stages of the second half, but it was narrowly headed over. Three more tactical changes with over an hour played saw Ibrahim Oladipo and Scott Langley enter the fray, while Wisdom Owuna dropped into midfield as Sunderland looked to chase the game.

With 10 minutes to play, the hosts really started to put their pressure to good use with a flurry of chances coming close to the equaliser.

The first came from a Lloyd Hayes effort that curled just wide of the far corner, before he carried the ball through the midfield into the feet of Haines whose touch into the box is good but he opted for the top far corner and didn’t find it.

The pressure was building and with just five minutes left to play, Sunderland got their just rewards. It started with Owuna in the middle, playing it into substitute Oladipo who charged towards the six-yard box and put it on a tee for Jackson-Brown to poke home the much-deserved leveller from point blank range.