FootballLocal sport

Gateshead FC lift the National League North Trophy after 2-1 win against Hereford: Match report

Gateshead players and staff celebrating their National League North title win. (Twitter: @Charles_Waugh)

Gateshead finally lifted the National League North trophy in front of Gateshead International Stadium, after they defeated Hereford on the final day of the season.  

The champions were serenaded by a bumper crowd of 4129 fans including a flag display from the popular local fan group ‘Wor Flags’, whose appearance only added to a great atmosphere. 

Macauley Langstaff ensured it was a happy ending for The Heed as he netted both goals in the 2-1 win. He also sealed his own spot atop the scoring charts in the league for the season, moving to 28. 

Seb Revan scored what turned out to be a consolation for Hereford. 

Gateshead came into the game ready to party as they had already won the league; however, Mike Williamson’s men still wanted to wrap up their season in style. The game was more of a dead rubber for the away side as their place mid-table was sealed long ago. 

Langstaff opened the scoring after just 13 minutes when he found himself free in the box to beat the onrushing goalkeeper, Andreas Sondegaard. 

Hereford went close to an instant equaliser; but, when Tyler Owen-Evans had the space to pick his shot, he only fired wide. 

Cedwyn Scott nearly made it 2-0 but frustratingly saw his shot strike the woodwork after 19 minutes. 

Multiple chances for the home side could’ve put the game beyond Hereford before the first half ended. Langstaff could have had a second before the half; but his finish after a magnificent run let him down.  

The proceedings were dominated by the home team, and they got their reward on 70 minutes when Langstaff calmly side footed his shot into the bottom corner. 

18-year-old Aston Villa loanee Seb Revan pulled a goal back for Hereford nine minutes from time. Revan received a pass from Miles Storey, and took only one touch before converting smartly. 

After full-time Gateshead fans surrounded the tunnel ready for the presentation of the trophy. 

As captain Greg Olley hoisted the trophy in the air the champagne was on ice and the party began for everyone associated with The Heed.